MySeniorCenter Fun Facts

Monday, May 1st, 2023


In the April, 2023 issue of Fun Facts, we dove into the topic of Market Reach, which is the percentage of available Seniors in any given area who attend their local Center. We found that the average market reach across the Network in 2022 was 12.98%. While we looked at a number of community-specific attributes that can influence market reach such as location, income level and metropolitan status, our analyses led us to wonder about the differences between Centers at both the high and low ends of the reach scale.

In this issue, that's exactly what we did. We took the 250 Centers with the highest market reach scores, and the 250 with the lowest scores and analyzed the programs, participants and community demographics of those Centers. Overall, the 250 at the high end and 250 at the low end represent about 25% of all Centers across the MySeniorCenter Network. The remaining 75% are somewhere in the middle.

Welcome to...Fun Facts
Market Reach - Round Two
Edition

Enjoy!


Looking High and Low

In addition to the community-specific factors that can influence a Center's market reach, there are human, structural, and operational resource allocation issues that come into play. These can be based on long-standing local politics, depressed local tax revenue or a myriad of other issues. We're not trying to tackle any of those here, but we are going to point out some key differences between high and low Centers. Using these differences, you can make a plea for additional resources, or highlight your ranking.

For our first view into the differences between High and Low Centers, we looked at community income level on a per capita basis. Unlike last month, where we looked at market reach by community income, this month we wanted to know what percentage of the high and low Centers were in each income bracket.

To get the full effect, click 'download pictures'

In general, the Centers with the top 250 market reach scores skew toward the higher income brackets.

Friends in Low Places

Metro status, as we showed last month, has a big impact on overall market reach. For this month, we wanted to see how the High and Low Centers were spread across Rural, Suburban and Urban areas. As a refresher, you can read more about how those designations are defined in the section on the left called 'Metropolitan Status'.

To get the full effect, click 'download pictures'

The Low Centers are spread fairly evenly across the spectrum, while the High Centers tend to be in places with a lower population density.

On Top Of The World

We were also curious about the mix of programs offered by the High and Low Centers.

To get the full effect, click 'download pictures'

84% of all programs offered at the Centers in the lower market reach section were either Fitness/Exercise or Social/Recreation. The higher-scoring Centers were still biased toward those program categories, but had a better overall mix of Health/Wellness, Services, Education and Art/Music/Culture programs. Take a look at the Big List, What's Hot and What's Not edition of Fun Facts for examples of how we categorize different events for this type of analysis.

The Sultans of Swing

We also found some significant differences in the services offered at the High and Low Centers. In each case, there was a higher percentage of Centers in the High group that offered the service we analyzed.

To get the full effect, click 'download pictures'

It's difficult to make causal inferences based on this data, but it is clear that Centers with a higher market reach offer a wider breadth of programs and services. As you make your arguments for more resources, hopefully you can use that to your advantage.

Next Month

The June issue will be all about Names and we're asking for input. Have you recently changed or do you have a plan to change the name of your Center? Let us know and we'll share the results. Please take a few minutes by clicking this link to complete the survey. or click the image below.